Why You Should Love Your Teeth This Month
20 February 2015
Canada may not have a “Love Your Teeth Day” like China does, but in this month of love we thought we’d share 10 reasons why you should love your teeth! Love Your Teeth Day is a day in September dedicated to promoting oral hygiene and increasing oral health awareness in China. However, loving your teeth means taking care of them not just for one day, but everyday with regular brushing and flossing.
- Your teeth are the focal point of your smile and it is easily one of the first things other people notice about you. Being self conscious of your smile in both social and professional settings can hold you back from leaving a lasting impression. Whitening your teeth is one of the easiest things you can do to improve your smile for an instant boost of confidence. We offer a variety of in-office treatments, as well as take-home bleaching kits. However, it’s important to note that having white teeth doesn’t necessarily mean you have a healthy mouth.
- February is Heart Month and although no clear connection has been made, it is worthwhile to mention that the link between oral health and heart health has and continues to be explored.
- The shape and condition of your teeth can signify your age. For example, yellow teeth as a result of years of smoking can add years to your age. Smoking not only causes tooth staining, it can also lead to gum disease, tooth loss, bad breath and mouth cancer.
- Having healthy teeth and gums means you can eat food and enjoy it – pain-free.
- A healthy mouth equals a healthy you. Many diseases have oral symptoms including swollen gums, mouth ulcers, and dry mouth.
- Having a healthy smile improves your overall wellbeing. There’s no doubt that an attractive, healthy smile can improve your attitude and make you feel great! A positive expression is more likely to draw people to you than away from you. This can be helpful in a job interview because you’ll appear more confident in what can often be a nerve-wracking situation. When in doubt, you should smile!
- Like any healthy relationship that has to be nurtured, so too does the relationship you have with your teeth! It’s important to set aside time everyday for your oral hygiene. This includes brushing twice a day and flossing once a day to remove plaque and bacteria that can lead to cavities.
- Oral cancer can be hard to detect it its early stages. It’s important to visit your dentist regularly because the earlier any oral problem is detected, the easier it is to treat. Your dentist will look for any unusual changes to your gums, cheeks and tongue.
- When you love your smile you will smile more often. Smiling is contagious and releases endorphins that make us feel happier and less stressed.
- There is a two-way link between diabetes and gum disease. People with diabetes are not only more susceptible to gum disease, but according to the Canadian Diabetes Association, “poorly managed blood glucose (sugar) levels can lead to severe toothaches or other dental problems.”
Oakville Dental Place Office
At Oakville Dental Place Office we believe that oral health is an important part of your overall health. We offer a range of oral health services to our Oakville patients, from routine check-ups and regular dental cleanings to more comprehensive care such as fillings, wisdom teeth removal, cosmetic care, and root canals. We are dedicated to keeping you and your family healthy and happy with proper oral health care.
If you have missing, broken, or damaged teeth, you may be a good candidate for our Cosmetic Services. Procedures include sealants to prevent decay, porcelain crowns and veneers, dental implants, and colour matching. All of our cosmetic procedures are designed to help you achieve the smile of your dreams! We also offer the latest in dental technology to make your visit as painless and stress-free as possible.
If you’re hiding behind your smile and would like to know what can be done to improve it, don’t hesitate to contact us!
Share Us On: